Thursday, January 27, 2011

Unfinished Epics

Those who know me or read my intro, will know that I'm a bit of a gamer.

I have a lot of games I really like, some of the more recent being Uncharted, Infamous, Resident Evil 4, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Little Big Planet and Borderlands.

I really love these games and would highly recommend them, not to mention a whole myriad of others. But if I was forced to narrow down my favourites to a more select few, to state which games -really- dug into my brain, really got me hooked and wet to play, I guess I'd have to say it would be Final Fantasy VII, and more recently, Dragon Age.

However, as a gamer, I feel the need to come clean. To confess a dirty little secret. To bear my soul and beg your merciful forgiveness.

.... I've never actually finished playing either of these games.


So how is it, that games that rank at the top of my list of all time favourite games that I love and obsess about, are one's I've never even completed?

I suppose with FF7, it was a matter of spoilers. I actually didn't play the game until I saw there was this movie called Advent Children coming out that looked really shiny. I was a sucker for anime and CGI at the time, and with a little digging, I discovered FF7... and pretty much spoiled the entire story for myself. In great detail.

You WISH you could be as bad a** as Cid Highwind.


So I guess when it came time to play, I could just sit back and enjoy playing. I didn't feel the -need- to have to rush through and get to the end, because I knew what would happen. I wanted to do aaaalllllllll the side quests, wanted to get all the materia and characters, wanted to level up like a mother effer. And then something happened and I couldn't play the game for a while, and I just never really got back around to playing it again. (Well, there was that brief stint on my PSP, but I haven't played that in forever either, so...)

And I guess there was a similar case with Dragon Age.

Alistair, the most broski bro ever to bro a bro.


When I first started playing it last year, I was hooked. I quickly racked something like 70+ hours playing it within a month or so, and having only got about half way through (in case you haven't figured it out yet, I like taking my time with games.). Then I got stuck in an area that I really didn't like, and went on vacation. When I returned, I really wasn't all that enthused to return to the drudgery of the environment I'd left behind. Finally, after weeks and months of procrastination, and with a bit of playing time here and there, I completed the dreadful stage, and that's about where I'm at as it stands. True, I've been rather busy with a lot of real life stuff these last few months, and I do intend on going back to it, soon I hope, but I haven't felt that -need- that I simply -have- to play more. I'm sure I will, once I load it up again, perhaps that's why I'm dawdling, since I'm worried I might not have the time to invest in such an epic RPG right now.

Or maybe I'm just subconsciously avoiding finishing these games, because then they'll be... well, finished. And it's hard to let go the things you really love.

Or maybe I'm just lazy. Yeah, that's probably it.


What are your unfinished epics?

2 comments:

  1. Persona 4, Dragon Quest IX, Rogue Galaxy, Radiata Stories, Dragon Warrior VII, Yakuza 3.. so many..

    I really need to finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until last week, Star Ocean 2 had been one of mine, and for about two years or so, the very last ending of Drakengard was just beyond my clutches because of the drastic genre shift.

    For current ones, I still haven't, to this day, finished Final Fantasy Tactics. I get to the final chapter, get all the secret characters, get my team exactly where I want it....and then stop playing. I haven't finished Final Fantasy VIII, either. Made it to where I could get the secret GF for the first time, went up against the guy you had to draw it from, lost and went, "Welp!" and moved on.

    ReplyDelete